Friday, June 18, 2010

Welcome Baby Creighton











A week ago Creighton decided to make his grand entrance into this world. Not quite perfect timing considering my parents were at girls camp, my best friend/on call babysitter was out of the country, and my doctor was in Alaska. But, thankfully my sister in law met us in the hospital parking lot, and I was blessed to have a friend from my old ward happen to be my labor and delivery nurse. (Thank you to a familiar face.) After 3 1/2 hours of labor (1 at home and on the way to the hospital and the rest in the hospital trying to convince him we needed just a couple more hours.) My labors come quickly, but I needed antibiotics so we needed more time. He was as patient as possible but...he still came in less than four hours.
After a couple of scary hours where the NICU was threatened for at least a week, then 3-4 days, then just a day or two. They finally just observed him that evening and let him come to the regular nursery that night. What a fighter!
I continued my fever for a couple more days and earned myself a few extra nights in the hospital--which is a joke if you have kids at home. They released Creighton Sunday night, which meant he could not stay with me--unless we had another adult in the room with us. Do I send Dad home to be a single father of five, including a nursing newborn? No, my parents stepped up and took the kids for the next three nights, so Chris could stay with Creighton and me. I am so grateful for them. I know they were exhausted from the week before, and to chase my four children around is not a low intensity job.
Finally Wednesday night the doctors (and I had many) decided my fever was finally under control and they let me go.
I would like to say, "I HATE hospitals!!!" Being crammed in a little room, while my family is somewhere else is not my idea of fun.
Again, we had so much help this week. Dinner, babysitters, visitors, and so much more. I feel blessed to know my family was WELL taken care of during this crazy ordeal. So many new neighbors that do not know my family well were willing to step up. I really hate to feel like a burden, but I do love the feeling of knowing what type of people surround me and my family.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm so glad to hear you are home. I was going to come see you but now I'm sick! Blah. I hope your able to some sleep at home and feel better. Creighton is gorgeous and I love him already!

Emily said...

Congrats Melissa!!

So sorry that things were a little crumby.

Creighton is beautiful.

brenda said...

Congrats on the cutie! Glad you are finally home, and hope you are surviving!

Alyssa said...

Congrats! not just on your new baby but, also enduring the complication of being stuck in the hospital!?!?! yikes! I am glad you had help at home and a romantic getaway with just the three of you--LOL! So glad you are home now!

Tori said...

I'm sorry I was gone. I am actually mad I wasn't here to help. After I shake this cold I will be over there.