Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Experimenting again...

One of my favorite things to do is to cook. It is away for me to relieve stress and to find a little bit of peace even when my house if full of things I want to ignore (yes, sometimes that includes my kids). My mom has always been a great cook and trying new recipes. I love it. She has made some things that will be part of my family memories forever.

Part of cooking should include a few healthy choices. (Again, my mom engrained in me the fact that there will always be at least one vegetable (but more likely two) with dinner. To top that off, they have to be different colors--oh, and potatoes don't count.
The last nine months I have been involved in the greatest vegetable co op (Bountiful Baskets--thanks to Sara). We get a ton of produce at a great price. It is fresh, beautiful and ready on hand. But, it does provide things that are not in my usual meal routines. This has turned out to be a great thing. I add a yellow squash to taco soup, or a little zucchini to my spaghetti. I even cooked brusel sprouts for my husband and kids. (YUCK!!! But, they loved them. Again---YUCK!!!)
So... tonight I am making chicken enchiladas, but with my own tomatillo enchilada sauce. It is green and smells great, but we will see if it is any good. Good thing my husband (and kids believe it or not) will try almost anything.

Photo-Gallery.aspx.jpg

No comments: